About the Opportunity:
Lead Instructor FIND Outdoor Explorers Club
FIND has an exciting opportunity for a Seasonal Educator at the Cradle of Forestry with a 50 year
old non- profit located in Pisgah Forest, NC who promotes educational, recreational and
interpretive opportunities about forest and water resources, natural history, and the Cradle of
Forestry in America. FIND Outdoors serves approximately 850,000 visitors each year with over 150
educational and recreational programs, special events, and tours, and manages 21 recreation,
education and camping facilities in North Carolina, Georgia and Indiana. The Lead Instructor works
collaboratively with FIND Outdoors Education Director, education team, Cradle site managers, to
support the educational mission at FIND Outdoors. This role will focus on the planning, recruiting
and delivering the curriculum designed for the FIND Outdoors Explorers Club. The Explorers Club is
a Dogwood Health Alliance grant funded program that seeks to provide engaging and inspiring outings
for middle school aged young people from historically underrepresented populations on public lands.
The successful candidate must have the requisite skills to function in this position and will be
held to a high standard for education, customer service and employee relations and will be an
ambassador to FIND.
• Pre-Season: February-April
o Collaborate with FIND Outdoors Education Director 4-6 hour a week around planning and attending
community recruiting events with local partners.
o Communicate with vendors and partners to coordinate outings for Explorer Club members. This
includes, but is not limited to, things like reserving campgrounds, ordering necessary gear with
program funds and the creation of content for marketing.
o Complete LNT trainer certification course, if not already done.
o Partner with Education Director to complete pre-season evaluation of club members.
o Translation of material into Spanish.
o Contribute to curriculum planning.
• Outing Weekends- Last Saturday of each month from April to September
o Held one Saturday a month from April to September, Explorer Club members and staff will take
“outings” onto the Pisgah National Forest. Explorer Club staff will meet on Friday mornings before
each outing to prepare for the following day.
o Lead instructor will facilitate all needed elements of a successful and safe day of programming.
o Record the day's events through photo, video and written reflection.
o Partner with FIND Outdoors Education Director to deliver LNT curriculum, initiatives and outdoor
o Responsible for the safety of self, co-staff and students during the entirety of the day.
o Ensure all club members are in the care of an appropriate care giver before they are relieved of
these previous duties.
o Facilitate proper care and storage of all gear used.
o Social media and marketing content created from each weekend using media collected and shared
with Education Director no later than one week after outing weekend.
• Post Season- September- November
o Collaborate with FIND Outdoors Education Director 4-6 hour a week to conduct summative
evaluation of program, planning and attending community recruiting events with local partners for
the 2023 season.
o Facilitate the proper storage of all gear for winter storage at The Cradle of Forestry.
QUALIFICATIONS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE:
• Bachelor’s or Associates degree or combination of college and direct experience in
designing and implementing environmental education programs to various ages in a classroom, nature
center/nature preserve or similar setting.
• Fluent Spanish speaker.
• Experience working with children in an outdoor setting.
• Comfortable with a wide range of outdoor activities; biking, fishing, hiking,
outdoor cooking, first aid, Leave No Trace ethic.
• Exemplary oral and written communication skills with a strong focus on the creation
of lesson plans, activities and public communications through our social media, newsletter and
• Ability to work closely with others to provide updated information and quality
• Strong service ethic and ability to interact well with people of all ages.
• Engaging public speaker and comfortable managing large groups of Cradle of Forestry
• Knowledge of the flora and fauna of the Southern Appalachians, forest ecology and/or
• Willingness to provide support to FIND Outdoors staff, volunteers, hosts, and
Explorers Club Lead Instructor
Scope of Work & Expectations
I. In regards to work schedule, the Explorers Club Lead Instructor will:
● Be employed from February 25 to November 11, 2022, part-time. Hours a week will vary at
different intervals during this time based on the different phases of the program (described above)
for a total of 120 hours, never exceeding 18 hours a week.
● Compensation is $25/hr
● Typical work week flexes as needed to cover programming requests, but these flexes will
clearly communicated early and revisited to ensure clear understanding,
II. In regards to The Explorers Club program, the Lead Instructor will:
● Work with Education Director to develop, recruit and execute programming for Explorers Club.
● Check in weekly with the Education Director about tasks.
● Facilitate programming and maintenance of gear for the Explorers Club.
● Ensure the safety of all participants of The Explorers Club.
● Be an ambassador for FIND Outdoors