Employed by: CFAIA
Responsible to: Cradle Education & Interpretation Manager
Administers: Education programs and event support at the Cradle of Forestry
Purpose of Job: To ensure the education mission of the CFAIA by administering educational
programming at the Cradle of Forestry in America.
- Facilitate conservation education and interpretation programs and activities in an indoor and outdoor setting.
- Create, plan and implement a summer nature series for children, including leading lessons and hands on activities.
- Help plan, promote, and implement special events and programs at the Cradle of Forestry.
- Lead youth groups on paved and natural trails as interpreter of trail stories and as a guide to observing the surrounding forest and its dynamics.
- Create and offer thematic talks as a roving interpreter along the Cradle’s trails.
- Work on special projects contributing to new group activities and/or public programs.
- Assist with caring for, interpreting, and engaging visitors at the Cradle’s Heritage Gardens. Also assist with caring for the plants, reptiles, and amphibians in the Cradle’s terrarium exhibit.
- Assist with marketing, social media, and staffing outreach booths at appropriate events and expos as assigned.
Skills and Abilities
Can work successfully as part of a team as well as assume independent responsibilities.
Will interact in professional manner with the public and convey a positive image for the Cradle.
Ability to assist with implementation of several projects simultaneously within a strict time frame.
Ability to walk up to (4) miles daily and lift twenty (20) lbs.
Demonstrated knowledge of and experience working in the field of natural history, forest ecology, and/or education.
Training: Provided on interpretive techniques, conservation education fundamentals, and the Cradle of Forestry site, programs, and management. On-job training opportunities include the natural and cultural history of the area, visitor center operation, and teaching children in an informal setting.
Compensation: April 1- November 10, $12/hr. This is a part-time, 28 hours per week position and includes on-site housing. Typical work week will be Wednesdays through Saturdays, 8:30am to 4:00pm, but may be flexed as needed to cover programming requests.
Can be provided at the Cradle of Forestry Heritage Site in Pisgah National Forest.
For more information about the Cradle of Forestry in America Heritage Site, please visit www.cradleofforestry.com
For questions about this position, please call Stephanie Bradley, Education and Interpretation Program Manager, at 828-884-5713 x226 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Three positions available. Positions open until filled.