Season: April – Early November (minimum 3 month commitment)
The Pisgah National Forest was established as a result of the sale of some 87,000 aces of George and Edith Vanderbilt’s “Pisgah Forest” tract in 1916. Today the Pisgah National Forest is comprised of over 500,000 acres split into three districts. The Pisgah Visitor Center is located at the entrance to the Pisgah District and comprises 160,000 acres and serves approximately 130,000 visitors a year.
Hosts are on duty in the Pisgah Visitor Center three days/week and are primarily responsible for greeting visitors and assisting them with questions about trails, waterfalls, camping, local areas of interest and other general information, with the goal of enhancing their experience within the Pisgah National Forest.
- Assist with opening and closing of Pisgah Visitor Center.
- Engage visitors and answer questions about the Pisgah National Forest, including trails, local waterfalls, camping, as well as nearby areas of interest.
- Ensure all visitors are following current COVID protocols.
- Encourage responsible recreating within the Pisgah National Forest.
- Handle issues and complaints, engaging the appropriate level of response to handle the matter in a timely manner.
- Perform other general duties as assigned by the Manager.
- Ability to work successfully as part of a team as well as assume independent responsibilities.
- Good working knowledge of the Pisgah National Forest, including commonly used trails, commonly visited waterfalls and camping options.
- Prior experience working/volunteering in a visitor center setting is strongly desired.
- Strong customer service ethic and the ability to interact well with people of all ages and backgrounds.
: Pisgah Visitor Center Manager
: Pisgah Visitor Center Manager and Assistant Manager
: Full hook-up (50 amp e/s/w), internet, limited cell service; uniform shirts; gift shop discount, and ample time off to explore the area with its rich cultural and natural resources. Please note that there are no showers or laundry facilities available onsite.
Minimum Length of Stay
: 3 months